Back Print

"Stop" means "stop" at Old Steyer Bridge repair project

Posted: Wed, Jun 8, 2016 10:53 AM

Repairs continue to the historic Steyer Bridge on Twin Springs Road, almost underneath Highway 52.  It was built in 1875 by Decorah stone mason Michael Steyer and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Stone mason John Dingley has been hired by the City of Decorah to repair the bridge.  So far $23,608 has been spent on the project--$9,475 on repairs to the southeast wing wall, $11,994 on the northwest wing wall and $2,139 on the east end of bridge.

But repairs require removing some of the stones, then replacing them with new stones.  That's why Dingley has put up stop signs at the construction site.

However, motorists seem to be ignoring the signs.  That's led to a public appeal for people who are driving on Twin Springs Road to slow down and obey the stop signs--for the sake of the workers who are underneath the bridge when cars pass over.

(This version of our story updates the financial information.  We reported earlier that city officials had set aside $80,000 to pay for the project, but the actual spending has been much lower so far).